Ecolibrium Solar® is an emerging market leader in next-generation racking solutions for commercial and residential rooftops. Based in the U.S., the firm designs and manufactures simple, cost-effective, and installer-friendly products that maximize solar installation efficiency and minimize costs. Ecolibrium Solar provides innovative, lower-cost and labor-saving racking technology supported by thousands of residential and commercial customers, industry certifications, and third-party validations.
In the summer of 2012, Queen City Angels (QCA) was introduced to Ecolibrium Solar, a start-up company with a focus on revolutionizing the solar power market. Founded in Athens, Ohio, the company manufactures the next-generation photovoltaic (solar panel) mounting systems, which have proven to cut installation costs and help make green energy more accessible to more people. The company was looking to fill-out its latest investment round, and for QCA, Ecolibrium Solar’s rapid growth and the opportunity to participate in a hot market flush with merger and acquisition activity provided tremendous upside potential.
Ecolibrium has attracted numerous early investors, including TechGROWTH Ohio, East Central Ohio Tech Angel Fund (ECOTAF) and Ohio TechAngels. After initial meetings with Ecolibrium’s team and completion of the group’s due diligence, more than 20 individual QCA members decided to participate in an initial investment round, raising almost half the debt round in 2012. In 2013, QCA brought its total investment to nearly half a million dollars (adding several new investors) helping to fill out Ecolibrium’s Series B round. In early 2014, with orders coming in and annual revenues budgeted to triple, the board approached all of Ecolibrium’s investors to secure a $2 million loan for new tooling and inventory. Almost half of the debt round came from QCA members and the strategy was a huge success. QCA currently has a substantial equity position in the company, and also occupies a board seat.
- Jan willem van der Werff, CEO – More than 20 years of global general management experience in the plastics and renewable energy industry.
- Joseph Viny, VP of Business Development – Came to Ecolibrium after serving as VP of Business Devlopment for solar integrator, Third Sun Solar
- EcoFoot – versatile flat roof mounting solution that simplifies the installation process by providing low part count and universal module attachment. Made of 100% recycled HMWPE material with a proprietary design that protects the roof surface.
- EcoFoot2+ – features increased ballast capacity, integrated grounding without washers and a preassembled clamps. Has fewer parts, more validation and increased design flexibility with zero seismic attachments
- EcoX – introduced in July 2015, streamlines the residential installation process, rail-less concept that eliminate large, bulky components reducing shipping costs and on-site logistics